1/13/12

Single White Female, Addicted to Retail

I have an addiction. No, I'm not talking about my problems with Diet Coke (that's an entirely different can of worms,) I'm talking about my shopping habits. If you've seen my bedroom, or spent any time with me, you'd understand.

I have so many dresses, skirts, tops and pants that I could literally go for months without wearing the same thing twice. If I switched up the shoes, accessories and purses I could go for years. My mother has repeatedly told me that I have more clothes than she's had in her lifetime. It's her 57th birthday today, so that's a lot of clothes.

Every month I have a budget and every month I tell myself: NO MORE SHOPPING. My budget for January was so detailed that I mapped out all my weekend plans and allocated my funds accordingly. I thought this would give me a greater chance of staying out of the mall.

Everything was going great until today....when I found myself at the Gap on my lunch hour. Sure, I was there to make a return, but did you know their Spring line is out? Did you know it's full of bright colours and amazing prints?? I did because I was on their website earlier in the week (mistake number one.

I decided to "just have a look around" before I made my return (mistake number two.) That's when I stumbled upon this:
I saw it online and thought it was adorable, but I knew I'd have to see it in person to know if it was love. Turns out I fall in love easily and "just had" to try it on (mistake number three.) As soon as it was on I knew I had to have it - it was as adorable as I imagined. And when I find an item I love, there's no getting between me and it. You wouldn't come between a drug addict and their drugs, right? Well, maybe if it was an intervention, but those don't happen everyday, right?? RIGHT??

Ok, I'm starting to sound crazy. It's been three hours since I was last in a mall and I'm wondering how long I can go until my next fix. I practice safe shopping (i.e. I use my credit card only when I can pay it off within the month) so am I really doing harm? Just tell me I'm not. Enable me. Please.....I beg of you.

No comments: