1/30/12

The Lemon Meringue Cupcake

A few Christmases ago, my brother enrolled me in a cupcake course at the Cookbook Co. I absolutely loved it and walked away with some delicious cupcake recipes. I've made most of them since, except for one: the lemon meringue cupcake. Why have I not revisited this recipe? Well, it was one of the hardest recipes in the class - meringue is a hard thing to master, in case you've never tried.

For the past few weeks I've been itching for a challenge in the kitchen and for our first book club meeting I decided it was the perfect occasion to break out the lemon meringue cupcake. I made the vanilla cupcakes (the base) on Saturday so I could focus on the meringue on Sunday.

I got home from yoga Sunday afternoon and went straight to the kitchen, rolled up my sleeves, and broke out the whisk and egg whites. It only took about ten minutes until the egg whites started to form "soft peaks." I felt good about where it was going....then I added the simple syrup. Suddenly my soft peaks were gone and I was left with a runny mixture. I kept whisking away, determined to see this to the end.

Another 20 minutes passed and there were no changes. My arms hurt and I was feeling defeated so I decided to break out the electric mixer. I had avoided this from the start for fear of it ruining the meringue, but I was close to giving up and thought "how much harm could it really do?"

After mixing for 15 minutes I could see a difference. It was getting so close! I kept mixing, and mixing.....and mixing. And finally, it was holding its shape. I had done it.....after an hour of whisking and mixing.

SERIOUSLY? How did women do this 70 years ago without any electric appliances? Their arms must have been jacked. Forget yoga arms, let's all aim for meringue arms. That's where the real definition is at!

With all the work I put in them, I was delighted with the final product.

It might have been short on the lemon, but they looked adorable and the meringue made up for the missing lemon. Now I just need to add whisking to my workout plan.....

No comments: