1/8/12

The Dip

When I first decided my 2012 goals, I couldn't think of a better way to kick them off than participating in the Courage Polar Bear Dip (que the "you're crazy" comments.)

Since I was a kid this event had such strong appeal for me. Why? Probably because I grew up swimming in the lakes no matter what the temperature. Every May 24 long weekend we would go camping and I would always swim. Some years the water was surprisingly warm, others it was a struggle just to get waist-deep. But I always did it and felt so happy afterwards.

I was willing to do the dip on my own, but I thought it would be much more fun if I could recruit some friends. Most friends responded with "Ummm, no. Do you think I'm crazy?" Thankfully, my best friend Marie said yes - and was excited as I was!

We arrived in Oakville on New Year's Day with towels, blankets, water shoes and hats. We undressed to our bathing suits and got in line for the beach. The anticipation was the worst part of the day - we stood there waiting for the first heat to finish their dip, wondering what we had got ourselves into.

When it was our time, we left our towels and blankets on the beach and went down to the water. My Dad was our spotter (there to ensure we got out of the water safely), but he mostly just took pictures. My Mom and Aunt were up higher on the shore cheering us on. Right before the countdown Marie and I were both excited and terrified.

When the crowd yelled "one" we ran into the water. I'm sure the houses across the street could hear us scream. It was cold, very cold.

We came back to shore and grabbed our towels and blankets, laughing at what we had just done. The craziness of the event was evident - who in their right mind runs into Lake Ontario on a warm day, yet alone in the middle of winter? - but the energy felt on that day was incredible. Everyone was laughing with each other, sharing stories of past polar bear dips and keeping the new dippers optimistic about what they were about to do. We were welcomed into this small community instantly and enjoyed every minute of it.

Would I do the dip again? Heck yes. It was an amazing experience that I was able to share with my family and best friend. If I ever struggle with one of my challenges I'll think back to this day and realize that whatever I have to do isn't that bad in comparison.

1 comment:

Marsha said...

First, I am among the people who think you are crazy! Second, you look adorable in the photo. Glad it was such a great experience for you! Looking forward to more adventures...